wpa down and Already associated with the selected AP.

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Dec 10 13:59:13 EST 2008

I originally sent the following to the netbsd-users list, but no response.
I know it is an old version of wpa_supplicant, but see my other upcoming
email in regards about attempting to build newer version.

Note I can repeat this anytime by going to some sites in firefox. As long
as I don't use firefox to browse, I can use SSH fine to remote locations.
I haven't tcpdumped yet to know what type of traffic is happening that is
related to this.

Original email:

Keep losing network connection. This is what I see:

Received 0 bytes of scan results (3 BSSes)
Scan results: 3
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
0: 00:14:bf:e1:51:12 ssid='sorry' wpa_ie_len=26 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
   skip - SSID mismatch
   skip - SSID mismatch
   skip - SSID mismatch
   skip - SSID mismatch
   skip - SSID mismatch
   skip - SSID mismatch
   skip - SSID mismatch
   skip - SSID mismatch
   selected based on WPA IE
Already associated with the selected AP.

Causing my ifconfig output to say:
        status: no carrier

This is wpa_supplicant v0.4.9
My kernel is 4.0 on i386.

My interface is:
iwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ssid sorry nwkey *****
        powersave off
        bssid 00:14:bf:e1:51:12 chan 7
        address: 00:16:6f:31:5c:47
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (OFDM54)
        status: active
        inet6 fe80::216:6fff:fe31:5c47%iwi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2

Also:
$ wpa_cli status
Selected interface 'iwi0'
bssid=00:14:bf:e1:51:12
ssid=sorry
pairwise_cipher=TKIP
group_cipher=TKIP
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_state=COMPLETED
ip_address=10.1.224.16

wpa_cli reassociate normally will bring it back up,
but may be down again in a few seconds.
Sometimes up for hours. But now gone down over 25 times.

Any ideas? What else should I provide?

Normally works fine, but now on a different network for the next week.

p.s. The subscription email reply link doesn't work: Recipient address
rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table