Ad-hoc mode with WPA/WPA2 according to IEEE 802.11i

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Dec 9 15:23:29 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 02:57:26PM -0600, LAMBA Jaideep wrote:

> Is there any update on the current status of this issue.
> If none what would be a good place for me to start implementing the same
> using madwifi drivers. Any guidance in this regard is highly
> appreciated.

The authenticator and supplicant parts are now relatively cleanly
separated and it should be possible to link them together into a single
process and have multiple instances of each. The main missing part as
far as wpa_supplicant is concerned is in keeping a list of active IBSS
peer STAs and pointer to supplicant/authenticator for each and routines
for managing this list (e.g., driver notification). This is still on my
to-do list, but I haven't had a chance to allocate enough time to work
on this yet.

As far as the drivers are concerned, they will also need to support this
mode. I haven't looked into what exactly this would mean for madwifi and
my own priority would be in getting first working with ath9k and ath5k
which would mean the changes would be available to any Linux driver that
is using mac80211.