About IEEE 802.1x on wired ethernet driver

Merck_Hung at asus.com.tw Merck_Hung at asus.com.tw
Wed Aug 20 22:22:47 EDT 2008

Dear all,

Due to my office network has IEEE 802.1x (EPAOL & MSCHAP v2) authentication.

The wired Ethernet driver of WPA works on Intel e1000 driver only.
And it didn't work on VIA (via-velocity.ko) and Realtek (r8169.ko).
(My kernel version is Linux 2.6.26.2)

I found that "packet socket" and "IFF_ALLMULTI" don't work on VIA and Realtek drivers.

It looks like WPA (L7) cannot receive EAPOL(L2) multicast packets.
For debugging this issue, I tried to execute "tcpdump -I eth0" to make eth0 enter into Promiscuous mode first and run WPA again.
In this case, WPA will received EAPOL packets and pass IEEE 802.1x authentication.

So I used "IFF_MULTICAST" flag instead of "IFF_ALLMULTI", and it works!
And would like to submit a patch to fix this issue and would really appreciate your advices. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Merck Hung
Software Design Dept.1
Emerging Technologies R&D Div.

ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Office: +886-2-2894-3447 Ext. 3959
Cell Phone: +886-919-880791

Email: Merck_Hung at asus.com.tw
Addr: No. 400, Sec.7 Chengde Rd., Beitou District, Taipei City 112, Taiwan