[Rt2400-devel] mac80211 / rt2x00 / rt61 and adhoc status

Lars Ericsson Lars_Ericsson at telia.com
Sun Aug 17 16:42:38 EDT 2008

> > > As you can se in the trace below, the configuration
> > proceeds and the adhoc
> > > is created.
> > > The warnon might give some clues.
> >
> > So how about those beacons? are they getting out?
> >

> After patching the wpa_suplicant (0.5.9) adhoc works.
> When first started, as the only part in the adhoc net, the
> driver just scans
> around for other adhoc members.
> This happen in mac80211 state 4 and no beacons are sent, as
> far as I can
> tell. Only probe requests are sent.
>
> When an other node (N2) shows up in the same adhoc net work, N2 starts
> sending beacons immediately.
> The RT61 catch that and merge that ibss, switch to state 5
> and all is fine.
> At this time ping works in both directions.
>
> When removing the second note, leaving the RT61 alone, RT61
> starts sending
> beacons, still in state 5.

The reason for the above behaviour are timeouts.
- Mac80211 will create an ibss after 20 seconds probing for existing ibss.
- Wpa_supplicant will restart this timer every 5 second ....

Changing the wpa timer will make the rt61 start sending beacons even if no
other STA is available.

I think that wpa_supplicant 0.5.10 addresses this issue, I will check and
come back.

/Lars