ascii code into Identity field

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Aug 7 06:06:57 EDT 2008

Sergio wrote:
> i have a problem with spanish. My "Identity" field into
> wpa_supplicant.conf should contain "<whatever name> (AUTENTICACIÓN)",
> with an accent. Nevertheless radius catch "<whatever name
> (AUTENTICACI\323N)>".

  i.e. the RADIUS server is receiving what you sent, but is not
displaying it using the same locale.

  UTF-8 should be used for all User-Names, as suggested in the RFC's.
You are not using UTF-8, so the RADIUS server has no way of knowing how
to interpret or display the character with an accent.

  i.e. the Identity field displays "properly" when you look at
wpa_supplicant.conf, because your local GUI has the correct locale set.
 This locale information IS NOT sent in the RADIUS packet.  So when the
RADIUS server receives that data, it has NO IDEA how to "properly"
display the characters with accents.

> Can i locate ascii code usage into wpa_supplicant
> code and manipulate it, or change it? Is there any solution for this
> problem?

  Use UTF-8.

  Alan DeKok.