hostapd and b43: can do unencrypted, cannot do WPA

Francis Galiegue fgaliegue at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 15:33:21 EDT 2008

Hello list,

First, a tour of the players in the game.

The AP:
* Gentoo, x86 based;
* PCI wlan card, BCM4306 rev 3, using b43 driver in debug mode;
* libnl 1.1 ("bundled" with Gentoo);
* latest kernel from wireless-testing, plus a patch from Johannes berg
(http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/patches/kernel/all/2008-04-28-18%3a04/026-allow-ap-vlan-modes.patch);
* latest hostapd from the git master branch;
* the wireless card is part of a bridge interface.

The client:
* Ubuntu 8.04, x86 based, stock kernel;
* ipw2200 based wlan card (built in);
* stock wireless utils from Ubuntu (wpa_supplicant 0.5.8,
wireless-tools v29, wireless extensions v22).

Attached are the .config and configuration file used for hostapd (in
order for hostapd to work however, I have to comment all wpa_
directives).

As $subject says, I have no problem at all connecting in unencrypted
mode. WPA fails, however.

Before I flood the list with debugging messages, which are many, do
you see a problem with my different components (mismatching version,
etc) that could explain why WPA doesn't work in the first place? If
not, I'll start submitting some debug logs...

Have fun!

Francis Galiegue, fgaliegue at gmail.com
"It seems obvious [...] that at least some 'business intelligence'
tools invest so much intelligence on the business side that they have
nothing left for generating SQL queries" (Stéphane Faroult, in "The
Art of SQL", ISBN 0-596-00894-5)