wpa_supplicant-0.6.1 IBSS Mode

Vladimir Koutny vlado at work.ksp.sk
Tue Apr 29 10:23:16 EDT 2008

Hi Dan,

[...]

>>> I found in driver_wext.c in line 970 a instruction which makes in my mind no sence.
>>>
>>> "if (wpa_driver_wext_set_mode(drv, 0) < 0) {"
>>>
>>> Why is the driver always configured in managed mode? But I'm sure this is not the reason why WPA-NONE not work. ;-)
>> That part shouldn't really matter, because it's only set to managed when
>> the card is initialized.  The _real_ mode you request is set in the
>> 'associate' hook below around line 1946.  That's the only mode set that
>> really matters.
>
> I agree with you.

I don't think so.

I'm just trying to get this working with driver_wext on a mac80211-based
driver (wireless-testing version), which won't allow you to change the
mode once the interface is up.

The result is that the mode is set to managed at startup (which is being
done with the iface down - so even if you set it to ad-hoc manually before
starting wpa_supplicant, it is forced back) and is kept here (that
SET_MODE: output is mine, tested on 0.6.3):

3054.032209: State: SCANNING -> ASSOCIATING
3054.032335: wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
3054.032453: WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
3054.032654: wpa_driver_wext_associate

SET_MODE: mode 1

ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Device or resource busy
3054.032309: Association request to the driver failed

This renders IBSS support unusable to wext drivers that won't allow
switching mode on-the-fly.

Regards,
  Vlado