General questions about hostapd

ali asin ali.asin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 03:28:43 EDT 2008

Hi!

Problem #1I notice that I am only connecting at the "b" rate with my laptop.
>  I have a "g" card for both my AP and my laptop.If I setup my AP with no
> encryption though, I can connect at "g" speed.

Maybe you set your speed with iwpriv (perhaps in /etc/interfaces), but when
you use encryption, you also use hostapd.conf file, so check you have the
following parameter:

*hw_mode=g (or the rate you want)
*
This parameter was added in recent version.
Anyway, use iwpriv ath0 mode 11g instead of iwpriv ath0 mode 3, because some
cards interpret this numbers in different way.

Problem #2I'm not quite sure how to change to using AES for encryption.
>  Right now I am using TKIP.
> I thought in hostapd.conf you would list only ccmp.
> wpa_pairwise=CCMP
> vs
> wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP (my current config)
>
> If I do the first example I am unable to connect at all.

Maybe the problem is in the client side, check your laptop has also the ccmp
module cause if not,  they will not be  able of speak each other.

Hope this helps!