python-wpactrl: Python extension for wpa_supplicant/hostapd control interface access

Kel Modderman kel at otaku42.de
Wed Apr 23 02:20:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

Recently, I took a detailed look into pywpa [0][1] that Jeremy Moles was
developing two years ago (but seems to have stagnated), and decided to hack on
his work. The result is python-wpactrl:
  http://projects.otaku42.de/browser/python-wpactrl/trunk/
  http://projects.otaku42.de/browser/python-wpactrl/trunk/wpactrl.c
  http://projects.otaku42.de/browser/python-wpactrl/trunk/example.py

It presents a python interface to most of the functions in wpa_ctrl.{c,h}
as well as a convenience function for collecting scan results using the new
BSS <id> control interface command in a for loop.

python-wpactrl only supports access to the UNIX domain socket interface (I've
never used any other method).

Is this kind of thing considerable for inclusion into wpa_supplicant source
tree?

I had a slightly difficult time separating wpa_ctrl.{c,h} from the development
branch as it now depends on the os_<func> wrappers, strlcopy and so on, so if
there is a chance of getting the extension integrated it is something I'd work
for (providing they work and would be generally useful to somebody...).

Thanks, Kel.

[0] http://www.emperorlinux.com/etc/contrib/?page=pywpa
[1] http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2006-May/013424.html