wpa_supplicant problem in ad-hoc mode with madwifi

pierre dubois pierre_duboisss at yahoo.fr
Thu Sep 27 05:50:45 EDT 2007

But i want to know why my card madwifi is changed automatically from Ad-hoc mode to Managed mode when i run wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -Dmadwifi -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd.
Can you show me the way to solve this problem?

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> a écrit :  On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 11:22 +0200, pierre dubois wrote:
> Here is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file:
>
> eapol_version=1
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> ap_scan=2
> network={
> ssid="myadhoc"
> mode=1
> proto=WPA
> key_mgmt=WPA-NONE
> pairwise=NONE
> group=TKIP
> psk="abcdefgh"
> }
>
> Notice that i tested also with ipw chipset and the mode is not changed
> automatically like that. When i typed iwconfig, i saw that the
> encryption key length is 128 bits in case of madwifi chipset, and 256
> bits in case of ipw chipset. Could anybody explain me what happens?

Note that with ipw2100, ipw2200, and ipw2915 you must _manually_ set the
channel [1], otherwise the card will not deal with the adhoc mode. It
does not have a default adhoc channel at all that I can tell.

Because wpa_supplicant doesn't have an option to force a particular
channel in the network block, you have to do this manually when using
wpa_supplicant and configuring it for adhoc operation. I would like to
modify wpa_supplicant quite soon to have a "frequency" key, but people
haven't yet decided whether they like frequency or channel.

Dan

[1] this may only be the case where there is not already an adhoc
network of the specified SSID. If you're creating a whole new adhoc
network, you definitely need to set the channel on ipw cards