error while starting the wpa supplicant

Saurav Kumar Barik sauravb at aztecsoft.com
Thu Sep 13 10:09:08 EDT 2007




Please do not send personal e-mails.
Post all your queries in the list.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Srikanth RB [mailto:srikanth.rb at semsoftindia-samsung.com]
>Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:00 PM
>To: Saurav Kumar Barik
>Subject: RE: error while starting the wpa supplicant
>
>
>Hi,
>
> I have also specified the ESSID and other network details in
>wpa_supplicant.config.....if i do "iwconfig eth2" i do not see
> the ESSID part getting updated.I am running the below command and
looking
>for that to get updated.....is it right ?
>
> "wpa_supplicant -ieth2 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -d"


The essid of the STA gets updated only when it gets associated to that
AP. The essid you are specifying in the .conf file is the essid to which
you want to associate.

The only AP you have(from your scan results), has essid "Free Public
WiFi".
Moreover you need to run Hostapd on the AP after setting correct essid.

>Regards
>Srikanth
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Saurav Kumar Barik [mailto:sauravb at aztecsoft.com]
>Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:21 PM
>To: srikanth.rb at semsoftindia-samsung.com
>Cc: hostap at shmoo.com
>Subject: RE: error while starting the wpa supplicant
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm using authros5121.
>>
>>I have created the interface now.....still it is giving this error...
>>
>>[root at localhost wpa_supplicant-0.5.8]#
>>wpa_supplicant -ieth2 -cwpa_supplicant.conf -d
>>Initializing interface 'eth2' conf 'wpa_supplicant.conf' driver
>'default'
>>ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
>>Initializing interface (2) 'eth2'
>>EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
>>EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
>>EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
>>EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
>>EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
>>EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
>>SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=20 WE(source)=13 enc_capa=0xf
>>  capabilities: key_mgmt 0xf enc 0xf
>>WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
>>Own MAC address: 06:14:78:8f:5e:49
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=0
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=1
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=2
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=3
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
>>Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
>>Added interface eth2
>>RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1002 ()
>>Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
>>RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x11043 ([UP][RUNNING][LOWER_UP])
>>RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'eth2' added
>>RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x11043 ([UP][RUNNING][LOWER_UP])
>>RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'eth2' added
>>RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x11003 ([UP][LOWER_UP])
>>RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'eth2' added
>>State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
>>Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
>>Trying to get current scan results first without requesting a new scan
>to
>>speed up initial association
>>Received 0 bytes of scan results (0 BSSes)
>>Scan results: 0
>>No suitable AP found.
>
>There is nothing wrong with the behavior.
>As I see it, there are no APs in the vicinity.
>Without running wpa_supplicant try running following two commands.
>
>Ifconfig eth2 up
>Iwlist ath0 scan
>
>I think you will get "no scan results".
>If so, then there are no APs so that your sta vap would try and
>associate to.
>
>
>>Setting scan request: 0 sec 0 usec
>>No enabled networks - do not scan
>>State: SCANNING -> INACTIVE
>>
>>and prompt will not return till I press ctrl-c.After that below is
>>displayed.
>
>Because of the above reason the state changes from scanning -> inactive
>after timeout happens.
>
>BTW which security (wep/wpa/wpa2) you want to implement using
>wpa_supplicant.
>And also you need Hostapd to do so.
>
>Please refer :-
>http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/
>
>
>
>
>>CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received
>>Removing interface eth2
>>State: INACTIVE -> DISCONNECTED
>>wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
>>WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
>>No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
>>EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
>>EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=0
>>wpa_driver_madwifi_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
>>No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
>>Cancelling scan request
>>Cancelling authentication timeout
>>WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=0, operstate=6
>>
>>
>>Regards
>>Srikanth
>>
>>
>>>Hi Saurav,
>>>
>>>If I do "ifconfig" - eth2 is not listed
>>>and also
>>>"iwconfig eth2" says that "no device found"
>>
>>There is no wireless interface.
>>Wpa_supplicant is secondary.
>>Try to enable the wireless card first.
>>Which wireless driver/card you are using??
>>
>>Once your wireless interface is set everything will work...
>>
>>
>>>My current status is -
>>>I have just compiled the wpa_supplicant code successfully and have
>>executed
>>>the command
>>>"cp wpa_cli wpa_supplicant /usr/local/bin"
>>>
>>>i have a doubt - should I have to do lsmod on all the .o files
>>generated
>>>due
>>>to compilation?
>>>
>>>Pls guide me
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Srikanth
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Srikanth, are you sure "eth2" is your wireless interface.
>>>All the ioctls, even the one for making the interface up, is also
>>>failing.
>>>
>>>Could you give "ifconfig eth2" and "iwconfig eth2" stats as well as
>the
>>>wpa_supplicant.conf file...
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Saurav
>>>
>>>
>>>>Hi,
>>>>
>>>>I have stuck in starting the wpa supplicant
>>>>
>>>>This is the error I'm getting.
>>>>
>>>>[root at localhost wpa_supplicant-0.5.8]#
>>>>wpa_supplicant -ieth2 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -d
>>>>Initializing interface 'eth2' conf
>>>>'/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'
>>>>driver 'default' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
>>>>Initializing interface (2) 'eth2'
>>>>EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
>>>>EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
>>>>EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
>>>>EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
>>>>EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
>>>>EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
>>>>ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
>>>>ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
>>>>Could not configure driver to use managed mode
>>>>ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
>>>>Could not set interface 'eth2' UP
>>>>ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: No such device
>>>>WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
>>>>ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: No such device
>>>>wpa_driver_madwifi_init: failed to set wpa_supplicant-based roaming
>>>>ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: No such device
>>>>WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=0, operstate=6
>>>>ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
>>>>Failed to initialize driver interface
>>>>Failed to add interface eth2
>>>>Cancelling scan request
>>>>Cancelling authentication timeout
>>>>
>>>>Regards
>>>>Srikanth
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, contains
>>>confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the
>>>individual or entity to whom they are addressed and is subject to
>legal
>>>privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should
notify
>>the
>>>sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your
>system
>>and
>>>notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or
>>>disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions
>>presented
>>>in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
>>>represent those of the company. The recipient should check this
e-mail
>>and
>>>any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no
>>>liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus
>>>transmitted in this email.
>>>
>>>www.aztecsoft.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>The information contained in this electronic message and any
>>attachments
>>>to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s)
>>>and may contain confidential or privileged information.
>>>If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at
>>>Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co. Ltd. or admin at semsoftindia-samsung.com
>>>immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
>attachments.
>>>Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding,
>>>printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on
>>>this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>>
>>
>>The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, contains
>>confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the
>>individual or entity to whom they are addressed and is subject to
legal
>>privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify
>the
>>sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your
system
>and
>>notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or
>>disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions
>presented
>>in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
>>represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail
>and
>>any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no
>>liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus
>>transmitted in this email.
>>
>>www.aztecsoft.com
>>
>>
>>
>>The information contained in this electronic message and any
>attachments
>>to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s)
>>and may contain confidential or privileged information.
>>If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at
>>Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co. Ltd. or admin at semsoftindia-samsung.com
>>immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.
>>Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding,
>>printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on
>>this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>
>
>The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, contains
>confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the
>individual or entity to whom they are addressed and is subject to legal
>privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify
the
>sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system
and
>notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or
>disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions
presented
>in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
>represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail
and
>any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no
>liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus
>transmitted in this email.
>
>www.aztecsoft.com
>
>
>
>The information contained in this electronic message and any
attachments
>to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s)
>and may contain confidential or privileged information.
>If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at
>Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co. Ltd. or admin at semsoftindia-samsung.com
>immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
>Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding,
>printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on
>this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.


The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, contains confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and is subject to legal privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.

www.aztecsoft.com



More information about the HostAP mailing list