Problem with EAP-TLS: buildIdentity: Identity configuration was not available

c4onastick c4onastick at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 21:08:17 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've just got FreeRADIUS up and I'm trying to get a WPA2-Enterprise setup
going. The RADIUS server locally tests ok, but I can't seem to get a client
to connect to it through the router. I recompiled wpa_supplicant with:

$ cat .config
CONFIG_DRIVER_WEXT=y
CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE=y
CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=y
CONFIG_EAP_TLS=y
CONFIG_PKCS12=y

I can't seem to get the client to connect, I get this error:

$ wpa_supplicant -iath0 -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
EAP: buildIdentity: identity configuration was not available
CTRL-REQ-IDENtity-3:Identity needed for SSID myAP
CTRL-EVENT-EAP-FAILURE EAP authentication failed

>From running FreeRADIUS in the foreground, it never even sees the request.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!