Why does supplicant lose the SSID?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Oct 4 22:00:14 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 08:32:55PM +0530, Sriharsha Vedurmudi wrote:

>  The supplicant is losing the SSID (after associating with the AP)
> when it is trying to process the received EAPOL frame 1/4. I get the
> message:
> WPA: No SSID info found (msg 1 of 4).

This does not mean that the information for lost; it means that this
information was never received..

> The code shows that when the state machine has NULL for SSID, this
> comes up. Under what circumstances will the state machine lose the
> SSID info after association? I am trying to write a driver, using
> driver_wext, to test WPA-PSK feature of a new upcoming chip.
> The access point is sending the first EAPOL frame 4 times (in which
> one or two times the FCS check fails) and then disassociating the sta.

There seems to be two issues here. The driver did not indicate that
association had been completed (SIOCGIWAP event). In addition, I would
guess that the driver did not report the current SSID (SIOCGIWESSID)
when wpa_supplicant tried to figure out which network configuration
block would be used here.