What does this indication mean?

Queisser, Andrew (VfB Stuttgart '07!!) andrew.queisser at hp.com
Thu May 31 15:23:02 EDT 2007

Hi all,

In my Michael tests I'm coming across the following message from hostapd
running in WPA-PSK mode:

  Wireless event: cmd=0x8c02 len=81
  Custom wireless event: 'MLME-MICHAELMICFAILURE.indication
     (keyid=9 unicast addr=00:0f:20:94:54:b9)'
  MLME-MICHAELMICFAILURE.indication for not
      associated STA (00:0f:20:94:54:b9) ignored

I also sometimes get MLME-REPLAYFAILURE from the same MAC addr.

Can someone explain why a non-associated station would tell hostapd that
there's been a MIC failure? This could be related to my problem where my
AP sometimes goes into TKIP countermeasures when I boot up my stations.

Also, could that other station be sending the indication due to traffic
on my
ESSID? As far as I know that station never associated with my ESSID.

Thanks,
Andrew Queisser