Scan wifi card on linux when connected-

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed May 30 22:19:38 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 13:55 -0700, hong zhang wrote:
> Your suggestion should be called progressive scan not
> normal scan. Some driver supports it. But I do not
> think madwifi supports progressive scan yet. For QoS
> feature, voice data interval is not more than 60ms.
> Otherwise, voice will be paused and quality is bad. To
> support WMM, client needs progressive scan to find APs
> near it so that it can roam if need. But normal scan
> would not work for QoS when connected. Timing is also
> an issue here too.
>
> Should AP know when client is scanning for normal
> scan?
>
> Madwifif provides background scan. I believe it scans
> when client connected.
>
> There are 3 kinds of scan. Normal scan, background
> scan and progressive scan. Madwifi currently supports
> first two.

That's in the driver.  iwlist and userspace tools don't care what type
of scan the driver does (except for active/passive scan) and probably
shouldn't have to care.

But user tools certainly expect to be able to get full scans whenever
they request a scan, and the driver needs to provide that.  Doesn't
matter whether the driver does a "normal" scan, background scan, or
progressive scan, whatever.  The driver should be smart enough that it
can provide scan results on request, and update those scan results in a
manner which is conducive to whatever userspace is doing at the time as
well.

For example, if you're doing a VOIP call at the time, and some other
userspace process requests a scan, then the driver might be able to scan
one or two channels then jump back to the current channel for another
dwell time, then one or two others, etc.  The ITU recommends that
conversational voice applications have a maximum delay of about 250ms,
not 60ms, so a dwell time of 100 - 200ms is quite within that range.

Dan