How to force packets with bad MIC?

Lohmann, Peter plohmann at intellidot.net
Fri May 25 20:39:16 EDT 2007

For the very same reasons that you mention, I forced MIC errors at the driver level (agere.720) by modifying:

void calc_mic_rx_frag( IFBP ifbp, wci_bufp p, int len )
{
     :
     // After n counter ticks, XOR the MIC with some random value.  Force 2 errors.
     //
     if( ( ( g_nCntr % 300 ) == 299 ) || ( ( g_nCntr % 300 ) == 296 ) )
     {
         printk("************** %s:%s: corrupting rx MIC\n",__DATE__,__TIME__);
         x.x32 ^= 0x1F234509;
     }
     :
}

The AP reports the MIC errors and goes into countermeasures for 60 seconds.
You would, or course, need to modify the code for your station driver chipset.
I needed this for MIC recovery debugging, and wish there were a better way -- perhaps what Jouni mentioned.

HIH,

     -- Peter