calculating transfer rate

ahuguet at cttc.es ahuguet at cttc.es
Mon May 21 07:31:38 EDT 2007

Hi David,

the transmission rate depends, indeed, on the signal to noise ratio, and
the desired BER (bit error rate) that has to be achieved.
The less SNR, the less transmission rate to keep a given BER.

As to where you can find the speed rate, I'll try giving you an answer,
although I've not tested that myself.

In the first place, the physical layer header contains information
regarding the transmission rate the payload is being sent at.
I'd say that you can get that information in the hostap driver code.
At the reception part, under void hostap_80211_rx()
there's an argument that is passed, rx_stats.
rx_stats->rate should contain the speed you're seeking.

Keep in mind that the number won't be 1 for 1Mbps, but 10. That's how the
standard 802.11b sets that field. So, expect to find 10,20,55,110.

Hope that's of help.