how to configure hostap in ad hoc mode

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon May 7 07:44:59 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 01:17 -0700, Do Thi Phuong Thao wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have card wireless 3COM 3CRPAG175. I want to run hostapd in ad hoc
> mode but there are some problems. Can some one show me the way to
> configure hostap in ad hoc mode? pls. Thanks alot.

If you're trying to do adhoc mode, then you probably don't need hostapd.
The hostap _daemon_ is a software infrastructure (not adhoc!) mode
access point daemon.  It makes your card become an access point, which
isn't adhoc mode.

If you want adhoc mode, just set the card to adhoc mode and do whatever
you want to do, hostapd itself doesn't need to be involved.

Dan