Problem with DWL-520 E1 under Slackware 11

edrickv at aol.com edrickv at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 20:47:28 EDT 2007

I'm trying to get my DWL-520 E1 card (prism 2.5, no onboard firmware) working under Linux. Since this kernel version (2.4.33.3) doesn't come with hostap I'm using hostap-driver 0.4.9 and utils 0.4.7. But it doesn't seem to be working right.

Downloading secondary (station) firmware /etc/firmware/rf010800.hex
srec summary for rf010800.hex
Included file name: RF010800.hex
Component: 0x001f 1.8.0 (station firmware)
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: No data available
STAID not available (maybe running PRI-only)
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: No data available
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: No data available
Could not read wlan PDA. This requires PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT definition in
driver/module/hostap_config.h.

In /etc/firmware I've got pm010102.hex, rf010800.hex and rf010804.hex. (The third one I'd initially used because the Latest-Prism package didn't include the 800.hex file. Same error though.) As far as I can tell the mentioned define is set in the hostap_config.h file.

Not trying to do an access point, use WPA, or anything fancy like that. I just want to get the wireless card working.