Driver Installation Ubuntu kernel 2.6.17 Basic Help

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Mar 20 22:13:58 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 11:59:20AM +0100, ahuguet at cttc.es wrote:

> I'd say the way Ubuntu has to deal with this packages, in order to have
> them properly installed in the system is through Synaptic Package Manager.
> Making a search on it with "hostap" returned results for:
>
> hostapd
> hostap-source
> hostap-utils

I don't know how kernel modules are distributed in Ubuntu, but my guess
would be that this hostap-source is not the correct version and the you
should be one from the kernel tree instead. You may need hostap-utils
(e.g., if you need to upgrade the firmware on the card). hostapd would
be needed only if you are planning on setting the card in AP mode.

> How can I know what driver version is being used by the device in
> question, once I've told the system to use only HostAP with said device?
> I'm saying this because Synaptic shows HostAP-source version as:
> 1:0.4.1-1
> I understand this would be version 1.0.4.1, cause version 0.4.9 is marked
> as old stable release and should not be used with new kernels.

I think that you are looking at incorrect package. This question sounds
very much specific to Ubuntu and I have no idea how that work. Using a
distro specific mailing list could be more fruitful resource for
resolving this.