version 4.9 hostapd returns segmentation fault on IXP425 ---Gatework 2348

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Mar 20 00:19:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 21:04 -0700, hong zhang wrote:
> In my knowledge, segmentation fault is caused by user space program. I
> have not had segmentation fault error in kernel or driver level
> programming. Am I right?

In this particular case, the segmentation fault in hostapd is caused by
the kernel.  There are some places in the kernel where it delivers
SIGSEGV to the current process.

The primary problem is an "oops" in the kernel.  Oops is a malfunction
of the kernel that doesn't stop the OS.  The segmentation fault in
hostapd is a side effect.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin