Should counter measures fire for bad MIC during 4-way?

Queisser, Andrew (VfB Stuttgart '07!!) andrew.queisser at hp.com
Wed Jun 6 12:21:57 EDT 2007

Hi WPA experts,

I've been looking at the IEEE spec to answer this question but cannot
find any verbiage that spells it out so I thought I ask here:

If a STA sends bad MICs during the 4-way handshake for WPA, should the
authenticator go into countermeasures or not?

I'm trying to think this through and can't quite decide if it should
happen or not. It seems like it would be too easy to mount a denial
of service attack if the countermeasures applied that early.

Thanks,
Andrew Queisser