wpa_supplicant with Windows Vista

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Jun 5 22:04:55 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 11:10:15AM -0700, Bryce Pasechnik wrote:

> Has anyone seen or began work on a vista port of wpa_supplicant.  In
> particular, an ndis 6 driver for it.

I did some work on this last year, but unfortunately, Microsoft seems to
have made it quite a bit more difficult to support 3rd party supplicant
in Vista. Adding the NDIS 6.0 OIDs in the supplicant side would be
relatively easy, but it looks like a new protocol driver is needed for
this (e.g., something based on NDISPROT sample with some changes or
modifying WinPcap to handle new OID types). In addition, the native
supplicant would need to be disabled somehow to allow another supplicant
to control the interface.

If I remember correctly, I got read-only operations working (e.g.,
reading the scan results), but taking control of the driver (e.g., ask a
new scan) did not work. I haven't had enough time to continue looking
into more details here, but if someone is interested in working on this,
I would welcome patches on this area ;-).