MLME-MICHAELMICFAILURE problem madwifi<->hostapd

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jun 1 20:13:53 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 08:45:20PM -0000, Queisser, Andrew (VfB Stuttgart '07!!) wrote:
> I think there's a madwifi bug when running hostapd regarding the custom
> wireless event MLME-MICHAELMICFAILURE. It appears that madwifi should be
> sending the source address as part of this event and is instead sending
> the destination address. This happens in ieee80211_linux.c of madwifi so
> I reported this to the madwifi developers list.

Yes, I noticed a change to madwifi repository that fixed this couple of
minutes ago. Though, I think the fix was incorrect, but at least the
source address part should now be correct.

> I'd be interested if anyone has seen TKIP countermeasures with madwifi
> working in hostapd at all since it seems like it would never work due
> to hostapd disregarding the MIC failure notifications from madwifi.

I've never tested this with madwifi, but I would have assumed that
someone has since this is part of Wi-Fi certification requirements..