forcing association with a specific BSSID

Joshua ChaitinPollak jpollak at kivasystems.com
Fri Jul 27 12:44:50 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to force my clients to connect with specific BSSIDs, and
association seems to work ok, but packets don't seem to get out. This
is with wpa_supplicant 0.5.7 and madwifi-ng 0.9.3.

I'm using the following commands to force the BSSID:

wpa_cli ap_scan 2
<first, remove all existing networks>
wpa_cli -iath0 add_network
wpa_cli -iath0 set_network 0 ssid $SSID
wpa_cli -iath0 set_network 0 bssid $BSSID
wpa_cli -iath0 set_network 0 key_mgmt NONE
wpa_cli -iath0 set_network 0 wep_key0 $PSK
wpa_cli -iath0 set_network 0 wep_tx_keyidx 0

I've posted the output of iwconfig and ifconfig below. Notice that
the bit rate and link quality seem to imply correct association (so
does "wpa_cli status", see later). I also noticed nwid is really
high, but we have quite a few wireless networks here, so I think
that's ok.

Finally, notice that the RX packets is pretty high, but all of the TX
packets where dropped.

I'm at a loss at how to debug this, so any suggestions would be
appreciated.

-Josh

# iwconfig ath0
ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"<SSID>"
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: <BSSID>
           Bit Rate:48 Mb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
           Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:<CORRECT_PSK>   Security mode:restricted
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality=47/94  Signal level=-48 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
           Rx invalid nwid:108252  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0

# ifconfig ath0
ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0B:6B:4E:2A:1F
           UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
           RX bytes:622722 (608.1 KiB)  TX bytes:20060 (19.5 KiB)

# wpa_cli status
Selected interface 'ath0'
bssid=00:13:19:15:02:80
ssid=DSI1