Failed to initialize wpa_supplicant

Reik Red reikred at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 15:44:33 EST 2007

Hi everybody,

In a nutshell: I cannot get init to start wpa_supplicant successfully as a service,
but I can start it manually myself after the fact. I'm trying debug this so that I
will be able to bring up wlan0 on boot.

Here's what happens during boot (after which wlan0 is not able to get an ip address):

Starting wpa_supplicant: /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf,
   -iwlan0, dbus_bus_get[ctrl_iface_dbus]: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize wpa_supplicant

And here's what happens when I run it manually after boot:

#The following is the same command that "service wpa_supplicant start" generates
% wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -B -u -f
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 -

Despite the error message, wlan0 is now up and will even get itself an ip address
if I issue a "dhclient wlan0" command.

I have already tried the bit about changing 12 88 to 09 88 in the /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant script.
# chkconfig:   - 09 88

After looking for a bout a day on the web, I'm hoping someone here knows the answer.
The only thing missing here is to be able to boot and have wlan0 come right up.

Thanks
Reik

System details: Fedora 8 fc8_x86_64, kernel 2.6.23.9-85.fc8, yum update wpa_supplicant
is current as of today, driver used is ralink's ra61pci.