ndiswrapper + wpa_supplicant

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:16:20 EST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 3:54 AM, Sukku <m.sukumar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi George and Dan,
>
> First of all thank you very much for your replay.
>
> I tried with NetworkManager also.. with NM also I didn't get successes.
>
> In var/log/messages I am getting this logs:
>
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'ssid' value
> 'test1'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'key_mgmt'
> value 'WPA-EAP'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'identity'
> value 'default'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'password'
> value '<omitted>'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'eap' value
> 'LEAP'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'proto' value
> 'WPA RSN WPA RSN'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'pairwise'
> value 'TKIP CCMP TKIP CCMP'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'group' value
> 'WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP'
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2
> of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
> Dec  6 12:44:14 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0) Supplicant interface
> state change: 0 -> 2
> Dec  6 12:44:39 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless):
> association took too long, asking for new key.
> Dec  6 12:44:39 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0) Supplicant interface
> state change: 2 -> 0
> Dec  6 12:44:44 sukumar NetworkManager: <WARN>  get_secrets_cb(): Couldn't
> get connection secrets: applet.c.2997 (get_secrets_dialog_response_cb):
> canceled.

I don't recall seeing this, but it looks bad.   When NM first connects
to a new AP that
needs a "secret", it should ask for one, which gets stored in your
Gnome keyring.  You
can verify the entries using gnome-keyring-manager.  Many people find
that NM will ask for the "secret" again after a disconnect.  I find
that entering
the secret here doesn't help -- I have to rmmod ndiswrapper, wait for
the scan to
succeed, and then NM will let me choose the AP and connect.

> Dec  6 12:44:44 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) failed
> for access point (Neolinksys)
> Dec  6 12:44:44 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Marking connection 'Auto
> Neolinksys' invalid.
> Dec  6 12:44:44 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) failed.
> Dec  6 12:44:44 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Deactivating device wlan0.
> Dec  6 12:44:44 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  SWITCH: no current
> connection, found better connection 'Auto Ethernet (eth0)
>
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'ssid' value
> 'test2'
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'key_mgmt'
> value 'WPA-PSK'
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'psk' value
> '<omitted>'
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'proto' value
> 'WPA RSN'
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'pairwise'
> value 'TKIP CCMP'
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'group' value
> 'WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP'
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2
> of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0) Supplicant interface
> state change: 0 -> 2
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar avahi-daemon[1896]: Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer
> relevant for mDNS.
> Dec  6 12:45:52 sukumar avahi-daemon[1896]: Withdrawing address record for
> fe80::20c:29ff:fe9d:5560 on eth0.
> Dec  6 12:46:17 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless):
> association took too long, asking for new key.
> Dec  6 12:46:17 sukumar NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0) Supplicant interface
> state change: 2 -> 0
>

> As per my understating the problem will be "what ever the IOCTL commands
> generated by wpa_supplicant  are not understood by  ndiswrappered  drivers"

I don't see these on my system using NM, and I don't see them above.  NM
controls wpa_supplicant directly using dbus, and ignores the config file.
You can get more details in wpa_supplicant.log by writing a little wrapper
script to add debugging options, e.g., something along the lines:

# mv wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant.bin
# cat <<EOF > wpa_supplicant
#! /bin/sh
# -dd -- lots of debugging messages