madwifi Hostapd-QoS/WME - How can I change the Priorization of Video/Voice Streams?

Robert Tulke ml at saxnet.de
Fri Aug 24 09:30:47 EDT 2007

Hello,

My question is about QoS with madwifi. I'm using the latest stable
release 0.9.3.2, voyage linux with 2.6.21.7 kernel and with Debian
Etch 4.0 (latest upgrades) hostapd/wpa_supplicant 0.5.8.
I start QoS with "iwpriv ath wme 1". Does this do it, or do I also
have to put in the wme values in the hostapd.conf?

If I have interpreted the output of the command
 "wlanconfig ath0 list wme 1"
right, so the Madwifi uses the same standard values vor WME like I
have read in a document of Ubiquitious Media group, where they had
testet, if madwifi-ng can do WME/QoS well.

voyage:/# wlanconfig ath0 list wme
       AC_BE cwmin  3 cwmax 10 aifs  2 txopLimit 2048
             cwmin  3 cwmax 10 aifs  2 txopLimit 2048
       AC_BK cwmin  4 cwmax 10 aifs  7 txopLimit   0
             cwmin  4 cwmax 10 aifs  7 txopLimit   0
       AC_VI cwmin  3 cwmax  4 aifs  1 txopLimit 3008
             cwmin  3 cwmax  4 aifs  2 txopLimit 3008
       AC_VO cwmin  2 cwmax  3 aifs  1 txopLimit 1504
             cwmin  2 cwmax  3 aifs  2 txopLimit 1504

Are these values suitable for using WME/QoS with madwifi?

Now I would like to know, how I can change the values for priorisizing
video and voice stream a little bit more (if possible, and how I have
to understand these kind of values).

And where can i find a documentation about the hostapd wme settings...

Kind regards
Robert Tulke mailto:ml at saxnet.de