[hostap driver] not authenticating when used w/ wpa-supplicant / network-manager

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 15:57:23 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 15:01 -0400, Tony Espy wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> >> Using the wext driver doesn't appear to change anything.  Anything
> >> else I can do to debug this?
> >>
> >> Also, I've read reports elsewhere that wpa-supplicant has worked with
> >> the hostap driver and the 1.7.1 firmware.  Even more reports that it
> >> works with 1.5.6 firmware, which I have also tried.
>
> The original Pepper Pad 2 used a modified versions of the hostap driver
> and wpa_supplicant ( both v0.4.7 ).  As long as the card's STA firmware
> was >= 1.7.1, things worked just fine with WPA/WPA2 access points.
>
> I'm pretty sure WPA support was added in 1.7.1 of the STA fw, not 1.5.6,
> however I could be wrong.  The WiFi cards we received from Gemtek for
> the original Pepper Pads were shipped with STA fw 1.4.9 which I know for
> a fact didn't support WPA, so we had to upgrade them on-the-fly to 1.8.X.
>
> Also, I tried an experiment on my PP2 starting wpa_supplicant with
> -Dhostap vs. -Dwext and this made no difference in behavior with respect
> to WPA/WPA2 access points.
>
> Please note however that the Pepper Pads are *not* running
> NetworkManager.  I think there may be a bug in NetworkManager with
> respect to the hostap driver and WPA/WPA2.  As I understand it,
> NetworkManager talks to the drivers directly to handle scanning versus
> the Pepper software which lets wpa_supplicant handle scanning.

Recent versions of NetworkManager request that wpa_supplicant scan, but
receives scan results via SIOCGIWSCAN ioctl.  That's no different than
running iwlist eth0 scan at the same time as wpa_supplicant.

NM trunk (what will be 0.7) uses the D-Bus interface to wpa_supplicant
and does all scanning through wpa_supplicant.

Dan