Not using modified module

ahuguet at cttc.es ahuguet at cttc.es
Mon Apr 23 05:17:11 EDT 2007

Hi again,

> I use Slackware, and it "works for me".  One other thing you might try:
>  use the INSTALL_MOD_DIR part with both "make modules" and with
>  "make modules_install" commands.  I don't think it will really matter,
>  but it doesn't cost much to try it.  Maybe it's something Ubuntu has
>  changed from the vanilla kernel sources; you have extra version
>  2.6.17.14-ubuntu1 vs. plain 2.6.17.14, so I guess they've changed
>  something.

I did try that, and, while it seems that it then places the resulting
modules (ko extension) in the required directory, the system doesn't seem
to want to take them.
Using modprobe hostap_cs && modprobe hostap doesn't seem to "refresh" the
module used.
The only way of forcing that refresh, that I've found so far, would be using:
cardctl eject
modprobe -r hostap_cs
modprobe -r hostap
cardctl insert
since the card is a pcmcia one, in a pcmcia to pci adapter.
Problem is that cardctl command doesn't seem to be supported by Ubuntu out
of the box (I assume a reconfiguration of the kernel would be necessary)

So far, since with the restart it works and loads the latest compiled
module, it is alright.

This is the command I've ended using, put in a script:

#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17/drivers/net/wireless/hostap/
make -C /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 SUBDIRS=`pwd` && make -C
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules_install && depmod -ae
cd /lib/modules/2.6.17.14-ubuntu1/extra
cp *.ko /lib/modules/2.6.17.14-ubuntu1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hostap
depmod -ae

Thanks for all the help.