HostAP Digest, Vol 47, Issue 27

guillaume FOURE foureg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 08:48:51 EDT 2007

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 07:50:39AM +0200, guillaume FOURE wrote:
>
> > So what i need is to put ath0 and ath1 in my hostapd.conf, but i don't
> know how.
> > I tried  "interface= { ath0, ath1 } " because it's seems to be the
> > idea for the Bsd version, but it don't work.
>
> You will need to use one configuration file per interface, i.e., one
> with interface=ath0 and the other one with interface=ath1. Then you can
> configure hostapd to control both interfaces by including both files on
> the command line (hostapd ath0.conf ath1.conf).

Thx for the tip.
 But when i try to launch hostapd with : /usr/local/bin/hostapd -dd
/etc/hostapd/hostapd-ath0.conf /etc/hostapd/hostapd-ath1.conf, it seems to
understand my request but i receive the following message :

Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd-ath0.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd-ath1.conf
Configure bridge br0 for EAPOL traffic.
madwifi_set_iface_flags: dev_up=0
madwifi_set_privacy: enabled=0
BSS count 1, BSSID mask ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff (0 bits)
ath0: IEEE 802.11 Fetching hardware channel/rate support not supported.
madwifi driver initialization failed.
 ath1: Unable to setup interface.
Flushing old station entries
madwifi_sta_deauth: addr=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff reason_code=3
madwifi_sta_deauth: Failed to deauth STA (addr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff reason 3)
Could not connect to kernel driver.
Deauthenticate all stations
Flushing old station entries
Deauthenticate all stations
ath0: Unable to setup interface.
madwifi_set_ieee8021x: enabled=0
madwifi_set_iface_flags: dev_up=0

I think that i'm maybe wrong about the way to use two wifi interfaces at the
same time.

My goal is to have a bridge with one ethernet and two madwifi cards inside.
I want to have one SSID shared by the both madwifi interfaces.
How change my config to succced..... thx for any help :)

My /etc/network.interfaces is like that :

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet manual
#pre-up wlanconfig ath0 destroy
pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
post-down wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wireless-mode master
wireless-channel 8

auto ath1
iface ath1 inet manual
#pre-up wlanconfig ath1 destroy
pre-up wlanconfig ath1 create wlandev wifi1 wlanmode ap
post-down wlanconfig ath1 destroy
wireless-mode master
wireless-channel 8

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168.1.200
network 192.168.1.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
bridge-ports eth0 ath0 ath1
bridge-maxwait 3

and my /etc/hostapd/hostapd-athX.conf (i don't think that the problem is
there for the moment but...i put the most importants things) :

interface=ath0

bridge=br0

# Driver interface type (hostap/wired/madwifi; default: hostap)
driver=madwifi

##### IEEE 802.11 related configuration

# SSID to be used in IEEE 802.11 management frames
ssid=PROTO

##### WPA/IEEE 802.11i configuration

wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=password