Newby question: how do I get a eth4ap interface?

Loek Gijben L.H.Gijben at Remotica.nl
Mon Apr 16 05:04:01 EDT 2007

L.S.

Please correct me if i'm not on an appropriate list. And if I did miss the obvious
documentation please point me to it.

Running ubuntu edgy.
I have a small box with an VIA epia C7 mini ITX board and 4 fast-ethernet ports eth0-eth3.

A Prism GT card (ZyXEL G110) is in the cardbus adapter and prism54 loaded (autodetected
at install time), lsmod:
> capifs                  6280  2 capi
> prism54                58632  0
> pcmcia                 38972  0
It means it is running fullmac isn't it?
lspci:
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation ISL3890 [Prism
> GT/Prism Duette]

This card is set up as eth4,bridged to eth0, and with iwconfig I can set the card in master
mode, it is usable as an unprotected access point.
iwconfig:
> root@************:~# iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth2      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth3      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth4      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"Twister"
>           Mode:Master  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
>           00:13:49:A4:5E:C2 Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=31 dBm
>           Sensitivity=20/200 Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:2347 B
>           Fragment thr:2346 B Encryption key:off Link Quality:108
>           Signal level:0  Noise level:75 Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid
>           crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid
>           misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> br0       no wireless extensions.
>
> sit0      no wireless extensions.

Now when I want to run hostapd to accomodate wpa_supplicant later on it fails, strace
hostapd -config.file gives at some point:
> ioctl(4, SIOCGIFHWADDR, {ifr_name="eth4",
> ifr_hwaddr=00:13:49:a4:5e:c2}) = 0 socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, 768)
>     = 6 ioctl(6, SIOCGIFINDEX, {ifr_name="eth4ap", ???}) = -1 ENODEV
> (No such device) dup(2)

Which means there is no eth4ap, and loading the drive fails with:
> ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX): No such device
> prism54 driver initialization failed.
> eth4: Unable to setup interface.

To wrap up: I have no eth4ap and i'm in the dark on how to get this one. Do I have to
declare an interface or an alias to eth4? Or is it an interface hostapd has to create out of
eth4?

Help out a baffled soul ;-))
TIA,
Loek Gijben
---
"Love your enemy... it will ruin his reputation :^) "
(by P.D. Uijs doing his Desmond Tutu act)