Does wpa_supplicant 0.4.9 support WE-21 with driver wext?

Robert Allerstorfer linux-ra at anet.at
Mon Apr 2 18:31:16 EDT 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, 18:23 GMT-07 Jouni Malinen wrote:

> That 0x19 status code in Association Response would indicate that the AP
> rejected association due to the client not supporting Short Slot Time. I
> would have expected BCM4306 to support this as a 802.11g card, so I
> would guess that SoftMAC is not setting the Short Slot Time flag
> correctly. As such, I do not think this issue has anything to do with
> wpa_supplicant and this should be reported to SoftMAC maintainers
> instead.

yes, thank you for these details - the same BCM4306 card can of course
successfully connect to the same AP under MacOSX. Since this problem
is caused by SoftMAC and SoftMAC is a dead end with newer linux
kernels, I dropped it at all and went to the new mac80211 based
"bcm43xx_mac80211" driver (coming with the current Fedora 7 kernel) on
Fedora 6, with which wpa_supplicant could successfully associate:

[root at fedora-ibook ~]# wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -ieth1 -Dwext
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - Trying to associate with 00:11:22:33:44:55 (SSID='myaccesspoint' freq=2457 MHz)
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Device or resource busy
Association request to the driver failed
Associated with 00:11:22:33:44:55
WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:11:22:33:44:55 [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]

However, bringing the wireless interface (eth1) up still does not
work:
[root at fedora-ibook ~]# ifup eth1
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Device or resource busy.
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

Determining IP information for eth1... failed.

So wpa_supplicant seems to do its job fine, but getting WPA2 under
IEEE 802.11g just working is still a pain. I have given up one year
ago with Fedora 5, and now with Fedora 6 and a working wpa_supplicant
there is still no success...

rob.