Trying to connect to network with LEAP authentication

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Sep 27 17:30:54 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 13:55 -0700, James J. Ramsey wrote:

> --- "James J. Ramsey" <jjramsey_6x9eq42 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > --- Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Right.  It's the driver and/or card reporting that
> > > it lost the
> > > connection to the access point.
> >
> > After using my wireless under Windows XP for a
> > while,
> > I found that the connection turned out to be flaky.
> > (It was only when I tested it under Windows briefly
> > that it seemed to be "perfect.") At times the
> > connection seems decent, and even long enough to
> > download MiKTeX--though I had to resume the download
> > after a disconnect--but othertimes, not so much. I
> > wonder if that was the reason for my problems under
> > Linux. If that is the case, though, why did I get a
> > connection at all under Windows?
>
> Sigh. I was too optimistic. I tried connecting where
> the wireless network had a much stronger signal.
> Windows XP connected just fine. Ubuntu did not.
>
> Does anybody have any specific ideas as to how to
> debug this problem, possibly some way I can compare
> what Windows and Linux are doing under the hood?
>
> <blowing_off_steam>
> Why does wireless under Linux have to be such a
> crapshoot? Just about everywhere else, between RTFM

Because the vendors themselves don't do the drivers.  If they cared
about Linux, they would care to put their Linux drivers through at least
some of the same testing as the Windows ones.  They also have access to
the hardware documentation, and lots of vendors don't even want to give
that out people who _would_ make Linux drivers.

Dan