Trying to connect to network with LEAP authentication

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Sep 22 10:34:50 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 05:41 -0700, James J. Ramsey wrote:
> --- Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > It also might be your configuration at fault.  If
> > the config isn't
> > right
>
> If that is the case, how would I go about debugging
> the config? Whatever config problems I have are far
> from obvious, except for the end result that things
> aren't working.

I believe cards that actually support LEAP (airo, ipw) [1] do most of
the association work in firmware.  Unfortunately, that's a black box
that you can't easily see into.  wpa_supplicant (and any other stuff
that talks to the card) just sets up a bunch of values and pushes them
to the card.  The firmware then returns 'success/failure' for the
association.  You may be able to figure out if you configuration is at
fault if you enable verbose debugging for the wireless driver.

Dan

[1] I'm quite curious; do any other cards actually support LEAP?  How is
LEAP done with softmac drivers like bcm43xx?  Is it implemented at all?