How to enable the master mode of my card?

Aubrey aubreylee at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 03:36:37 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm working on an embedded system, And the wireless card "D-Link Air
Wireless Compact Flash card" is enabled. The following is some info of
my system:
root:~> dmesg | grep eth1
eth1: Hardware identity 800c:0000:0001:0000
eth1: Station identity  001f:0004:0001:0007
eth1: Firmware determined as Intersil 1.7.4
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: MAC address 00:0D:88:F0:6E:B2
eth1: Station name "Prism  I"
eth1: ready
root:~> iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:""  Nickname:"Prism  I"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00  Bit Rate:11Mb/s
          Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:-68 dBm  Noise level:-122 dBm

The card can be iwconfiged to the managed mode and works properly but
failed when I want to set it to master mode:
root:~> iwconfig eth1 essid workgroup
root:~> iwconfig eth1 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

I want to take my small system as an AP, I'm not sure I'm on the right way.
What should I do next step? Is there any docs about my case?
I really appreciate your any suggestions and clues.

Thanks a lot.
-Aubrey