wpa_supplicant: Code problem of selecting AP ?

Tran Thanh Dinh dinh107 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 11:13:51 EDT 2006

  Hi,

  In my test, I set the ssid on hostapd is 8021X_test.
wpa_supplicant looks for a network called 8021X_test.
In the list of available network, 8021X_test is found
but this network is not considered to be the suitable
one.

  In order to find out the reason, I've just looked
into the code of wpa_supplicant. And here's the
problem:

In function wpa_supplicant_select_bss (events.c file)
There's a comparasion between the available network
ssid and the configured ssid (8021X_test)

memcmp(bss->ssid, ssid->ssid, bss->ssid_len)
using printf, I got value of these 2 ssids:
bss->ssid = 268744662
wpa_ssid_txt(bss->ssid)=8021X_test
ssid->ssid = 268697984
wpa_ssid_txt(ssid->ssid)=8021X_test

It means the 2 network ssids are 8021X_test in text
but in u8, they are different, so the comparaison does
not return 0. Therefore, no suitable AP found.

  Then I wonder if you ever got the same problem
please? how can I fix this problem please? should i
modify the code?

  Thanks for your help,
  Best regards,

Dinh Tran