Using wpa_supplicant with non-802.11 networks

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Mon Sep 11 18:52:57 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am curious to know if anyone is using (or planning
to use) the 'wpa_supplicant' package on non-802.11
networks.

Some of the other wireless technologies like WiMAX (802.16)
have protocols similar to those in 802.11i for authentication
(EAP-based) and key management and I think that the related
portions of wpa_supplicant could be used in this case.

However, there are also differences regards to network
scanning and security association management. I assume that
code for this new functionality would have to be written.

I would like to know:

a) if anyone is currently doing this (using this package for
non-802.11 networks)
OR
b) if there are plans on doing this
OR
c) if I have to do this, is it possible for me to keep certain
modules of the current code-base but replace the scanning
related parts with new code?

Another thing I am curious about is the embedebility of the
package. Is it possible to port the package (or at least major
parts of it) to an embedded processor that doesn't run
Linux/Windows/etc.? What portions of the package absolutely
need a high-level OS?

Thanks for creating and maintaining this very useful piece
of software.

Regards,
- Harshal