Is finding a hidden SSID with SCAN and SCAN_RESULTS alone possible?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Sep 8 15:07:27 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 11:23 -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:
> If I know the name of a hidden SSID that I wish to connect to
> -provided it is present- is possible to detect its presence before
> trying to actually connect?

The AP will never appear in normal scan results with the SSID if it is
set to not broadcast the SSID.  However, probe requests could be sent to
the access point if you know the SSID to determine whether the AP is
actually present.  (I'm not sure if you need to know the channel too or
it wpa_supplicant will send the probe on every supported channel?)

There's the "scan_ssid" option, which if you set, wpa_supplicant is
supposed to send probe requests to the access point to determine if it
is in range.  What I _don't_ know is if wpa_supplicant integrates a
positive scan_ssid result into the scan list automatically.

Dan