Can't get hostapd to work with madwifi

Kim Johnsson kimjohnsson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 09:42:38 EDT 2006

Hi,
I have successfully installed madwifi 0.9.2 on my slackware 10.1 computer.
I've tested it and it works fine. I do however want encryption, which is why
I downloaded hostapd. The problem is, whenever I try to start it, it give me
this output:
-----
root at Athena:/files/temp/hostapd-0.4.9# hostapd /etc/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Invalid argument
Could not set interface to master mode!
madwifi driver initialization failed.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
-----

I've tried several configurations, including ones found on the net which the
posters claim should work. The latest one I tried is this:
-----
interface=ath0
driver=madwifi
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
debug=0
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=Wireless
macaddr_acl=1
accept_mac_file=/etc/hostapd.accept
auth_algs=3
eapol_key_index_workaround=0
eap_server=0
wpa=3
wpa_psk_file=/etc/hostapd.wpa_psk
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
-----
The hostapd.accept and hostapd.wpa_psk files exist and use the correct
syntax.

I've googled a lot about this, but I haven't found anything useful. I
apprieciate any help you can give me.

/Kim