PEAP VS. EAP-FAST

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Oct 26 12:53:21 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 01:59:49PM +0200, jon.garciadesalazar at telvent.abengoa.com wrote:
> Could anyone tell me how different PEAP and EAP-FAST are?
> Do they need different hardware support? Is any PEAP capable wifi chipset
> EAP-FAST capable too?

Both PEAP and EAP-FAST are EAP methods.  EAP is processed by the
supplicant, not the hardware.  Any hardware that works with WPA2 should
support both of these EAP methods, although the supplicant that you use
may not.

(Actually I'm not positive that support for WPA2-EAP is part of the
requirement for WPA2, but I'd think it would be.  *Actually*, I'd
suspect that the hardware wouldn't care at all whether your network is
using EAP or not, but it may affect whether certain information elements
are passed to userspace.  I doubt it, but it's possible.)