current CVS breaks with madwifi

Matt Brown matt at mattb.net.nz
Wed Oct 11 20:49:09 EDT 2006

Hi Jouni,

The bug tracker is throwing 403 to all requests atm, so I'll post here
instead.

The current CVS version does not work with madwifi, in either plain text
or encrypted mode. The error is:

SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=19 WE(source)=13 enc_capa=0xf
ap: IEEE 802.11 Fetching hardware channel/rate support not supported.
Flushing old station entries
madwifi_sta_deauth: addr=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff reason_code=3
ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument

The cause is the rearrangement of the interface setup routines that you
committed as part of the multi-bss support. Specifically version 1.163
of hostapd.c committed on 8th Sep.

The driver_madwifi init routine sets the interface down.

Previously ieee802_1x_init was called before hostapd_flush_old_stations
as hostapd_setup_interface was executing, ieee802_1x_init brought the
interface up and the flush call succeeded fine.

Now, however, you call hostapd_flush_old_stations before calling
hostapd_setup_bss, and 802.1x is not initialised until
hostapd_setup_bss, so the end result is that hostap tries to deauth
stations on a madwifi interface which is down, madwifi returns -EINVAL,
and hostapd dies.

I'm not sure what the best fix for this is, but I'm happy to help out
with patches, more testing if required. Just let me know what I can do.

For now I've hacked around it, by having the madwifi driver init routine
set the interface up...

Cheers

--
Matt Brown