WinXP+PEAP+Cert Behavior

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Nov 30 07:11:57 EST 2006

Benn wrote:
> Thanks for the well crafted answer, that was basically what I
> expected to hear, but was hoping otherwise :)  The interesting thing
> is, the client is definitely sending out some kind of packet which
> gets turned into a request to the radius server:

Yes, these frames show up with any EAP type.  EAP starts with a frame of
type "request-identity" from the AP, and the client responds with a
"response-identity" frame that has the username in it (but nothing else,
so you *can't* make security decisions based on just that info).  That's
the frame that you're seeing here.

> received EAP packet (...) from STA: EAP Response-Identity (1)

Or at least, that's what hostapd thinks.  :-)  (And I agree with it.)

> EAP-Message = 0x0201000501

Yep, this looks like the tiny message at the start of an EAP exchange.

> Now, ideally I would somehow encourage the radius server to send back
> a "yup, all good" reply (or modify the internal-to-hostapd radius
> server to do the same), hostapd would consider everything kosher, and
> we'd be off.

But all it knows is the username.  You have no idea that this is
actually the user that it claims to be.  Anyone else that sniffs that
username (because it is sent in the clear) can immediately connect as
the user.  ;-)

> Any other day, that'd probably be perfect.  The operational
> requirements however are "0 user input".  Cheatings acceptable,
> fractured security is even somewhat acceptable, as long as the
> traffic is not directly sniffable, or so the management says.

Well, the EAP Request-Identity frame is sent in the clear, so it is
directly sniffable.  If you want something that isn't, you'll need to
set up some kind of encrypted tunnel, which is what PEAP does.  Or,
you'll need to set up some other EAP type (e.g., in a Windows domain,
you can set up a cert server that will automatically issue certs to each
machine; then you might be able to somehow automatically use these certs
for wireless without user input; this requires a lot of control over the
client, though).

I assume you're using some kind of API on the XP machine to add this
network, right?  Doesn't that API have a way to either turn off cert
validation or to select a (set of) cert(s)?  I mean, your users aren't
going to be able to connect to this network without selecting it, so
there will have to be *some* input at some point.  Right?