Reading things out of the blob in wpa_supplicant

Alun Evans alun at badgerous.net
Sun Nov 26 13:50:17 EST 2006

On 26/11/06, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 20:43 -0800, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 03:49:42PM +0000, Alun Evans wrote:
> >
> > > However, I don't really want to get the pac file over the air each
> > > time the computer restarts, i.e. I'd like NM to be able to extract the
> > > blob I specify, so that it can save that into gconf.
> > >
> > > Seemingly though, while NM can communicate with wpa_sup like this:
> > > SET_NETWORK 0 pac_file "blob://eap-fast-pac"
> > >
> > > There's no way for it to read blob://eap-fast-pac back.. ?
> >
> > No, not at the moment. Adding support for get/set/remove blob using
> > ctrl_iface is on my to-do list, though. In the current version, the only
> > way of doing this would be to use an external file and that could just
> > be a temporary file written and read by NM..
>
> Eek, that's suboptimal, though pretty much what's done now with
> certificates in NM... In the end we want to move that to the DBus
> interface anyway, but having it in the ctrl_iface would be a good idea
> too.

So, of the three options:

1. do nothing currently and get the pac each time
   a. wait for the ctrl interface
   b. wait for DBus interface

2. create a temp file (/var/run/NeworkManager/eap-fast-pac) to read/write the
   pac file from.

As 2 is only a stop-gap, I guess I should just wait for 1.a/1.b.

thanks,

A.