Scalability and Throughput of HostAPD

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Nov 10 10:01:52 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 10:55:21AM -0800, alan wrote:

> Can anyone give me performance and scalability numbers for HostAPD.  How
> many concurrent connections is it known to support well and what kind of
> throughput can it acheive under load?

I've tested hostapd with 2007 stations (which is the limit of
Association IDs in IEEE 802.11) and did not notice problems with this.
In other words, you are more likely to run out of wireless bandwidth
than see problems at hostapd managing association and authentication for
the clients.

What do you mean with "throughput" in this context? Data frames do not
go through hostapd, so data throughput is not applicable here.