creating new adhoc networks fails with ipw2200

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 27 20:43:55 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 22:40 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 20:14, Dan Williams wrote:
> > I seem to have run into a problem with this.  While I can create the
> > network setup using something like the following.  I don't intend to
> > join an _existing_ network; I want to create a totally new adhoc
> > network.
>
> Why not just use iwconfig then? If you're creating an ad-hoc network then
> there is zero point in using wpa_supplicant IMO.

Not entirely; NetworkManager uses wpa_supplicant for all the wireless
connection setup.  There's really no point to having one codepath for
connecting to an existing adhoc network, and another for creating one,
especially if the difference is one line in a wpa_supplicant config file
and one ioctl for setting frequency.

Dan