madwifi & hostapd 0.5.4 issue

Tim Harvey tim_harvey at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 12:24:51 EDT 2006

I'm trying to get madwifi-ng r1648 (current) to work with hostapd v0.5.4 and
have noticed that the madwifi driver takes the interface down in madwifi_init()
then proceeds to configure madwifi.  One of these configurations calls
'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME' which madwifi returns -EINVAL because the interface
is not up.  Furthermore if I comment out the call to take the interface down, I
don't ever see a call to bring it back up after configuration.

Is this a bug in the madwifi driver or in hostapd?  Should hostapd be taking
the interface down while it configures things and why does it never bring the
interface back up?  There is a call to bring it down in the init function but
the only call to bring it up is for 802.1x.

Thanks,

Tim