Sequence number of sent packets and last function before sending a packet

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Jun 19 11:32:48 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 01:43:00PM +0200, Jean-Marie Gouy wrote:

> - When I dump all packets headers (iwpriv wlan0 dump 3), the sequence
> number of sent packet is always 0 (you can see that below).
> Do you have an idea to get the correct sequence number ?

Sequence number is added by the station firmware code. I'm not aware of
a mechanism for learning which value was used in the host driver.

> - I'm going to modify the driver source code to create a new file in
> /proc with the most recent values of signal level and noise level for
> each destination (I'm using ad-hoc mode). I'm wondering how functions
> are called to send a packet, and which one is the final before
> sending. All sent packets seems to pass through function
> "hostap_data_start_xmit" in file hostap_80211_tx.c, but I'm not sure.

I do not understand how the description (talking about signal/noise
levels; I would assume for received frames) and sending of packets are
related.. Is iwspy not enough for the signal/noise levels? Why do you
need to a new procfs file for this?

prism2_transmit() in hostap_hw.c is the function that request a frame to
be transmitted.