WPA_Supplicant with EAP-TLS under Windows

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Jul 29 21:15:35 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 01:20:42PM +0200, Benoît ALBERT wrote:

> I try to configure wpa_supplicant to connect to a network that use 802.1x
> and dynamic WEP under windows 2000.
> I don't find how to define the certificate I want to use (This one is stored
> in windows registry and not in one or several files).

Please see the example wpa_supplicant.conf file for details on how
ca_cert and private_key are configured for the case where Windows
certificate store is used (I'm assuming you mean that, and not only
using registry):

# ca_cert: File path to CA certificate file (PEM/DER). This file can have one
#       or more trusted CA certificates. If ca_cert and ca_path are not
#       included, server certificate will not be verified. This is insecure and
#       a trusted CA certificate should always be configured when using
#       EAP-TLS/TTLS/PEAP. Full path should be used since working directory may
#       change when wpa_supplicant is run in the background.
#       On Windows, trusted CA certificates can be loaded from the system
#       certificate store by setting this to cert_store://<name>, e.g.,
#       ca_cert="cert_store://CA" or ca_cert="cert_store://ROOT".

# private_key: File path to client private key file (PEM/DER/PFX)
#       When PKCS#12/PFX file (.p12/.pfx) is used, client_cert should be
#       commented out. Both the private key and certificate will be read from
#       the PKCS#12 file in this case. Full path should be used since working
#       directory may change when wpa_supplicant is run in the background.
#       Windows certificate store can be used by leaving client_cert out and
#       configuring private_key in one of the following formats:
#       cert://substring_to_match
#       hash://certificate_thumbprint_in_hex
#       for example: private_key="hash://63093aa9c47f56ae88334c7b65a4"
#       Alternatively, a named configuration blob can be used by setting this
#       to blob://<blob name>.