Building a Visual Studio Release wpa_supplicant.exe 0.5.4 (for Windows)

George S. Lockwood gslockwood at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 09:44:54 EDT 2006

Many Thanks, Jouni, the VS2005 Release works very well!

I'd like to open a thread on Roaming.  How do I do that?

Or I'll state it here as well:

I'm very interested in the ability to ROAM.  I must understand the technical
aspects better and I'm gathering info on it now (any advice / comments you
might like to share will be warmly welcomed, Jouni).

I see the term "roaming" about 3 times in the wpa_supplicant literature;
either in the list of features or the todo list.  And I'm not really sure
whether this great product presently can handle a roaming wifi unit as is
today or if it needs enhancement or if roaming is out of the scope of the
product.

Could you (or another expert) clear this up for me?

Scenario:  a user uses a wifi client app based upon wpa_supplicant
(7-22-2006) to make the initial connection and authenticate to a network.
That network has many SSIDs covering a geographic area.  Every SSID has the
same name, but of course a unique MAC address.  the User then roams.  As
they move the signal strength of the original SSID they connected to weakens
in comparison to the other SSIDs of the network.

In my view the strongest signal should (always) be used by the users wifi.
So some sort of hand-off must take place.

How would this take place? Must there be a SSID disconnect and then
re-connect (to that SSID with the best signal -that the wifi client software
peforms?

Or is it the networks that handles all of this??

thanks so much and hope you enjoy the question,

george